If you’re looking to get that perfect summer glow, look no further than spray tanning! Spray tanning is a great way to get an even, all-over tan without having to spend hours in the sun.
But if you’ve never done it before, it can be a little intimidating. In this blog post, we’ll walk you through everything you need to know about how to spray tan for beginners. We’ll cover the basics of airbrush spray tans and show you how easy it is to achieve a beautiful golden glow!
What is spray tanning and how does it work?
Spray tanning is a process where an aerosol is sprayed onto the body to create a tanned appearance. The active ingredient in most spray tans is DHA, which interacts with the proteins in the skin to create the brown color.
DHA is safe for external use, but it’s important to be aware that it can cause some people to develop an allergic reaction. If you have sensitive skin, it’s a good idea to do a patch test on a small area of skin before getting a full spray tan.
Getting a spray tan is generally quick and easy, although it’s important to follow the instructions carefully to avoid any mishaps.
What to do before you spray tan
Exfoliate! This is seriously the most important part of prepping for a spray tan. If you don’t exfoliate, your tan will be patchy and uneven.
You also want to make sure that you don’t have any oils on your skin before you spray tan. Oils will create a barrier between your skin and the spray tan solution, which will make it harder for the solution to stick to your skin.
How to prepare for your first spray tan
Whether it’s your first time or you’re just wanting to switch up your routine, we’re here to help you get the most out of your experience. Here are a few tips on how to prepare for your spray tan:
- Exfoliate! This will help remove any dead skin cells and give you a smooth canvas for your spray tan. Use an exfoliating glove or scrub in the shower before coming in for your appointment.
- Wear loose clothing. You don’t want anything constricting while you’re getting sprayed, so wear something comfortable that won’t stick to your skin. We also recommend wearing dark colors since they can sometimes rub off on your clothes.
- Avoid lotions and oils. These can create a barrier between your skin and the spray tan solution, resulting in an uneven application. If you must moisturize, do it at least four hours before your appointment.
How to apply the spray tan
Spray tanning is relatively easy once you get the hang of it. Here are a few tips on how to apply the spray tan:
- Exfoliate your skin before you start. This will help the spray tan go on evenly and last longer.
- Make sure you’re in a well-ventilated area when you’re applying the spray tan.
- Hold the spray tan can about six inches away from your skin as you’re applying it.
- Move the can back and forth as you’re spraying to make sure you get an even coverage.
- Apply a second coat if necessary.
- Wait for the spray tan to dry before putting on clothes or getting into bed.
What to wear after you spray tan
After you’ve gotten your perfect spray tan, it is important to know what to wear in order to make it last. It is recommended that you wear loose fitting clothing and avoid tight clothing. You should also avoid wearing anything made of wool or silk as these materials can cause the tan to fade prematurely.
In addition, you should avoid showering, swimming, or sweating for at least eight hours after getting your spray tan. All of these activities will cause thetan to fade prematurely. After the initial eight hours, you should gently pat yourself dry after showering and always use a mild soap. exfoliating too harshly can also cause the tan to fade prematurely so be sure to use a gentle exfoliator when necessary.
How long the results will last
This is probably the number one question I get asked, and it honestly varies from person to person.
The average is anywhere from three to seven days, but I’ve had mine last up to two weeks before.
It all depends on how often you shower, what kind of products you use, and how active you are.
I would recommend exfoliating before your spray tan as well as using a oil free moisturizer afterwards.
You should also avoid wearing tight clothing or anything that will rub off on your skin.
How often should you spray tan?
Again, this is completely up to you! If you want that year-round glow then spraying once a week is probably ideal.
But, if you’re just looking to get a little color for an upcoming event then every other week or even once a month is probably fine.
I will say that the more often you spray tan, the easier it is to maintain your results.
Is Airbrush Tanning the Same as Spray Tanning?
No, airbrush tanning and spray tanning are not the same. Airbrush tanning is done with a machine that sprays the solution onto your body, while spray tanning is done with a can of self-tanner that you hold and spray yourself.
Both methods will give you a bronzed look, but airbrush tanning will usually last longer and be more even than a spray tan from a can. If you’re new to self-tanning, we recommend starting with an airbrush tan. But either way, make sure to exfoliate your skin before getting any type of faketan – this will help the product go on evenly and last longer!
Have you ever tried airbrush or spray tanning? What was your experience like? Let us know in the comments below!